The Minnesota DFL believes that democracy starts at the grassroots. That is why the party holds precinct caucuses and conventions to endorse candidates, elect party leaders and shape the party platform. These voter-driven meetings are a great way to get involved in the democratic process and make your voice heard—even if you’ve never been to a political meeting before. The next round of state-wide precinct caucuses will be held on Tuesday, February 25, 2020 and are open to all democrats.
- Registration starts at 6:30 pm. Each precinct caucus convenes at 7:00 pm.
- Attendees must attend the caucus site related to their residence. Beltrami County DFL has six sites. Click here to view a County-wide site map. Input your home address into the Minnesota State DFL's caucus finder to locate your precinct and its caucus site.
- Each precinct elects a precinct Chair, two Vice-Chairs, delegates and alternates (to attend the County and Senate District Conventions) and Pre-Convention Committee members. Each precinct also votes on Resolutions for proposed changes to the State DFL's Party Platform and Action Agenda.
- Minnesota has switched to a presidential primary, so there will be no presidential preference ballot at the precinct caucus. The presidential primary will be held on March 3, 2020. Early voting for the primary began on Friday, January 17, 2020. Information on early voting can be found here.
- For the precincts caucusing at Bemidji Middle School, a chili supper is available starting at 5:30 pm and ending at 6:30 pm at the price of $10.25 (exact change or checks) at cost for your convenience only and is not a fundraiser.
- Even if you cannot attend in person, you are able to submit a resolution, or run for a position as a precinct officer, delegate or alternate to the Beltrami DFL County Convention, or to serve on a Pre-Convention Committee (Constitution, Credentials, Nominations, Resolutions and Rules). You may also sign up to serve as an Election Judge.
- If you want to participate in your caucus but cannot attend in person, download and submit a Precinct Caucus Non-Attendee Form. If you wish to submit a non-attendee Resolution, (1) download and complete a Resolution Form and (2) attach it to a completed Precinct Caucus Non-Attendee Form. (See the short video below on how to write a good Resolution.)
- Precinct Caucus Non-Attendee Forms must be received by Saturday, February 22, 2020. You can either (1) have someone deliver the Form to your precinct caucus on caucus night, (2) mailed it to Beltrami County DFL, PO Box 1063, Bemidji, MN 56619, or (3) drop it off on a Saturday between 10am-1pm at our Headquarters office at 1510 Bemidji Ave N, Bemidji.
- If you are interested in volunteering on caucus night, please email us at email@example.com.
SIMPLE RULES FOR CANDIDATES AT EACH OF THE SIX CAUCUS SITES
- Candidates may have up to 8 square feet of signage space. This can be one large sign or a combination of smaller sizes not to exceed 8 square feet. No outdoor signage is permitted.
- Please use blue tape to hang signs on the walls. This will eliminate any damage to the walls and show our respect for the site.
- We will provide a large centralized table for all candidate literature, and ask that candidates direct caucus participants to pick up brochures there rather than hand them out.
- Candidates or one designated surrogate are invited to visit each of the individual caucus site rooms and address the caucus for up to two minutes.
- We also welcome candidates for non-partisan races to attend the caucus and speak for up to two minutes in the individual caucus rooms.
Thank you for your service to the community by running for office!